Tuesday, December 11, 2007

UW 20

My UW20 course just ended and I learned a lot of things about women's autobiography that I wasn't aware of before.
I didn't realize that one of my favorite genre of books is considered autobiography (autobiographical novel) so I enjoyed the class much more than I thought I would when I realized the topic was women's autobiography and I got to write my research paper on one of my favorite books, The Bell Jar. I also enjoyed the other readings for this class, including Sylvia Plath's diary, Meatless Days, and Baghdad Burning. The class made me realize how many types of interesting autobiography are out there, including blogs.

As far as my writing goes, I learned about things like a concession, "so what?" factor, and lit analysis which are key components to successful writing. I have learned to back up my argument in my writing better by linking everything back to the thesis statement and defending it, which was something I did not do effectively before.

I also learned to analyze these types of writings much better, especially with our activities with Meatless Days and the other short stories. When doing my research paper I also learned many more things present in The Bell Jar that I had not noticed before.

The library sessions for this class also taught me how to successfully utilize what the library has to offer, specifically research databases, which helped a lot for our second paper, which was comparing and contrasting two short stories.

Overall, I perfected my ability to complete research and write, and gained a better sense of the term "autobiography"

No comments: